Glass balustrades have become a popular choice in many modern houses in Perth, as their sleek appearance can upgrade the aesthetics of any home. They provide a sense of elegance and taste with their unobstructed views, which are a perfect match for minimalist interior design.
Not only are glass balustrades a universally beautiful way to fence off your balconies, landings, and staircases; they are generally easy to install.
However, before you talk to construction professionals and suppliers, you have to know the details of the space you’re working with. You have to measure the necessary parts of it, as well as think about the proper fixtures and fittings to go with the rest of your structure.
In this article, we will talk about measuring and understanding the specific needs of your space so that you can make the right choices in balustrades for your home’s design.
It begins with measurements
The size of your space, the total length of the boundary, and the number of corners your balustrades will have to employ will determine the total cost. As such, the measurements will determine the costs. When you are measuring, it is important to remember the following:
- Prepare the right equipment. You will need a tape measure, a level, a pen, and paper. Make sure to have the appropriate safety equipment, and be careful when measuring for the boundary to be enclosed. The level is also there to determine whether any part of the structure is not completely flat, which might be a concern in construction.
- Don’t rush it. Measure at least three times to make sure you get the right specifications. Take your time with calculations and repeat them the same number of times. It can be a very costly endeavour to have to reorder components and parts because the measurements were incorrect. Even just a mistake in millimetres might mean having to replace entire sections, especially since some systems often involve a single large piece.
- Be aware of various building regulations. Balustrade construction has strict and specific requirements that are in place to ensure the safety of a building’s residents and visitors. These are easily found on the internet. Make sure to talk to the supplier and construction company about meeting these requirements.
- Draw a plan. Your drawing does not have to be complex, but any visual representation of your desired result could help your glass balustrades supplier and the construction company for the project. Also, remember to add your desired measurements to this drawing. If you have other visual representations, such as pictures or examples on the internet, these will be helpful as well.
- Mark the end posts, corner posts, and mid-posts. You can use tape, markers, or pencils for this. Make sure to label them carefully to ensure that your construction crew makes no mistakes. Make sure to account for your desired width between mid-posts (usually around 1–1.2 metres).
- Choose your fittings and fixtures! You could go for different styles, invest in a handrail, or choose a frameless system. There are few limitations when it comes to choices, especially with innovations in the development of sturdy materials and safe construction methods.
Whatever the design of your home, it is important to understand the basic construction concepts behind building a balustrade. From there, you could choose the correct designs and manage the costs more easily. With these tips, you could be one step closer to having the home of your dreams.
And if you’re looking for a supplier of steel and glass balustrades in Perth, send us at Aussie Balustrading a message. We are a custom staircase manufacturer, and we have a great selection to satisfy any client.